We’ve done a lot of family road trips, but as we get ready for a 2800-mile road trip with an estimated 44 hours of driving (yes, and 3 kids under 10 in the car)—I know I can use all the helpful reminders possible! I returned to this list Part 4 of the Travels with Baby guide, and have added a few things. Anything else you would add? Please share!
Assuming all goes well, we’ll be visiting three National Parks, a National Monument, and enjoying a break in the middle to visit with some very special members of my family—yes, all in the course of a week and a half. Did I mention LAS VEGAS?!
Will you be following us on Facebook? Be sure to choose “get updates” on the Travels with Baby page—I may need YOUR tips and suggestions along the way! (Point to the like button and the option will magically appear; I’ll also be tweeting @travelswithbaby…) Wish us luck!
Before you head out on your next big road trip, be sure to take a little time and double check that these essential items are in your car. You may want to add some items to your pre-trip shopping list:
Road Trip Emergency Checklist
- Car cell phone charger (lighter adaptor and cord)
- Paper map of the area you’ll drive through (backup to GPS)
- Backup list of emergency contact phone numbers (independent of your phone)
- Spare tire and jack
- Fix-a-flat tire emergency tire repair in a can
- Jumper cables
- Flash light (with new batteries)
- Replacement wiper blades
- Replacement headlight bulb
- Flares or emergency lights
- Space blanket
- Quarters for unanticipated parking meters or turnpikes
- First-Aid kit, complete with infant / child medications
- Spare pen and paper for emergency note-taking
- Emergency cash reserve
- Emergency water reserve
- Emergency snack reserve*
* In your emergency snacks, be sure to include something suitable for each family member, not overlooking jarred baby food or formula if appropriate.
Have I missed anything? Lordy, there’s a lot to do today! 😉
Related posts and pages: Car seat travel and road trip tips