Home family travel Ask Shelly: Which twin travel stroller for Europe?

Ask Shelly: Which twin travel stroller for Europe?

by Shelly Rivoli

UPDATE – Which twin travel stroller did Rachel decide to take? How did it go? Don’t miss the follow-up to this post here!

Hi Shelly,

I am so glad that we found your website and were able to buy your book! We are planning a big trip to Europe this fall and will be visiting several countries with our 2 children (3 months old and 2 1/2 years old).

My biggest question is what kind of stroller would be best to bring. We would like to have a double stroller to have the option of putting both kids in the stroller. Our baby is too heavy to ‘wear’ all the time but our 2.5 year old often needs to sit in the stroller when he gets tired, etc. At home we use the Phil & Teds Sport Buggy and love it. However, it is very heavy and bulky to bring on several long flights. We are open to taking it, but have been considering buying a more light weight double stroller for our trip.

You recommended both the Maclaren Twin and Joovy Caboose Ultralight on your website. We are trying to decide between those but are not sure which would be best for Europe? I know there are special considerations for Europe such as smaller doorways and more public transportation. I know we will be happiest if we are prepared with a great stroller and would love your advice on which double stroller would be best for us.


Thanks so much for your question! I would strongly recommend a Maclaren twin stroller for your trip, either the Maclaren Twin Techno or Maclaren Twin Triumph (Triumph is lighter, but no leg rest for the baby). With the independently adjustable (better reclining) seats, napping on the go will be much easier, and either should fit through doorways. Wheels are sturdy, too. I say that having had a Phil and Ted double buggy myself–great for some applications more than others. 😉

I’ve also found that with my Maclaren Twin (and also single Triumph), I can push the infant car seat handle all the way back and hang it over one of the hook handles as we make way through the airport. If your infant car seat can travel without its base, this may be a great option for you. Have fun!

How about you?

Any other “twin stroller travelers” with tips for Rachel?

Safe journeys,

Shelly Rivoli, author of the award-winning Travels with Baby and Take-Along Travels with Baby 

travelswithbaby.com   facebook   twitter   pinterest   about the author   

Curious about this content? See my editorial content disclosure.

You may also like...


Late Holidays May 25, 2011 - 12:35 pm

I say – Lose The Stroller alltogether.
Yeah, I know it is sometimes annoying, and many of us are not use to caryy our babies all day. BUT, imagine how it must feels like for tham. It is a new place, and the language is strange and even the smells and the sorroundings are strange, and It is such a safer feelingto be closer to mom or dad.
I know I try to take my kids on me as much as I can, and even when I eat, my boy is on my lap, laying face down, enjoying an occasional back rub.
I vote No For The Stroller!
But… If you insist on one I'm sure that the Maclaren twin stroller is the right one.
If Shelly sais, than she knows.
Enjoy your vacation and travel safe and happy 🙂

Gup Chup December 17, 2010 - 8:39 am

we have the babby jogger city mini and like it better than mclaren's.

Station taxi September 17, 2010 - 7:16 am

There are a lot of choices on the market these days, but not all of them meet the high standards. However parents cannot go wrong with any of these top ten baby strollers.

Shelly Rivoli August 26, 2010 - 5:33 pm

Ha-ha – A vote for the P&T! Yes, I have friends who travel with theirs, too, but did get a flat overseas, so be sure you bring a spare. 😉 I dislike it for having 2 children needing to sleep at the same, whether with the toddler on the front or in the rear, and if you have many stopovers and need a stroller, you'll be assembling / disassembling at the gates, which is a lot simpler with the Maclaren–but your points are good, too! The strap is called the "Traveling Toddler" and I too recommend it for travel with toddler car seats I have more info about it here for anyone interested: http://www.travelswithbaby.com/gear/car_seat_bags.htm

Super Mom | Maternity Belly Bands August 26, 2010 - 4:26 pm

This is my first time to visit your blog and I actually like it. I have a knack in searching for blogs related to Tummy Tankz.

Ann August 26, 2010 - 2:11 pm

Sorry, left that comment from my husband's account. I shoudl clarify the strap we use with the car seat/roller bag allows the child to ride in the car seat to get through an airport. Kids love it and it is only about $15.

Brian August 26, 2010 - 2:08 pm

BRING YOUR PHIL&TEDS SPORT!!! We spent last Fall in Poland and are just back from 6 weeks in Japan with our Sport and two little kids. We use the travel bag, pack up the Sport and check it so it is safe and it meets us at our destination. I have sometimes taken a cheap little stroller to get through airports since gate checking can be very hard on strollers. Unless you are renting a car, ditch the infant car seat. We took a car seat to Japan for the plane and used a great strap that attaches it to a roller bag to get through the airport. The Sport is really the best for Europe, fat wheels, small footprint. I travel most of the year with 2 kids (just getting ready for 5 weeks in Victoria Canada) and we would be lost without Phil&teds! I even wrote about my phil&teds love on their blog while in Tokyo earlier this month: http://philandteds.com/en/blog/item/32-a-travelling-mum
Good luck getting ready!

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More